Thursday, December 2, 2010

San Pedro, El Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala

I dont know why I try to commit to keeping a blog while traveling, but I guess its not a bad thing that I am spending my time doing wonderful exciting things rather than being at internet cafes.

Everything this far has been amazing. Antiuga finished well. I made it to a beach called Monterrico for a wonderful afternoon of swimming in the WARM pacific ocean.  I also hiked Volcano Pacaya, one of the few still active volcanos in Guatemala. I think it last erupted in May. It was only about a 2 hour hike and we got to see lava once we got near the top which was amazing. I  left Antigua and on Monday I arrived to a magnificent place called San Pedro La Laguna, a town that borders the lake of Atitlan in Guatemala.



I met a friend named Candice from Whistler who has been my most recent travel buddy. We hiked Volcano San Pedro yesterday morning. We had a really cool guide who helped motivate us to the top. Im still a novice hiker, so it was a bit strenuous..  but definately worth it once we got to the top.  We went through avocado trees, coffee plantations, corn, beans, cedars, pines, and more. Didnt see any animals but supposedly white pumas, jaguars, boas, and wild pigs roam the area.



This is the crew that sleeps and works at the top of the volcano, doing path maintenance


The day before we met some other Americans who were on their way to an oil painting art class  and they invited us to come along. Our instructor, Walter, is an amazing oil painter and helped us each make our own little materpieces. The whole family, in fact, paint and all got involved in the experience. It was really neat being invited into their home and getting to spend time with them.



The whole group, our paintings didn't turn out too bad!

Today I will hopefully cross the lake to go find my friend Katie, who has been living in a smaller town, San Marcos. I think tomorrow I will have to say my farewells to the lake and keep on moving. I want to spend a day in Tikal and then try to make to to Belize to meet up with some other friends.

As always, Im constantly thinking of all my friends and family back home!!

No comments:

Post a Comment