The day has finally come-- tomorrow I leave for El Salvador. I have the pre-traveling jitters... simultaneous feelings of extreme excitement and yet intense anxiety.
My mom, brother and I, as well as 6 other members of the St. Joseph's parish are traveling to San Salvador tomorrow evening. We will arrive early Friday morning. From there, we will travel to the University of Central America, visit some museums, visit the cathedral and tomb where Archbishop Oscar Romero lies, and absorb the rest of San Salvador.
On Saturday, we will spend the day at the University where thousands of people from around the world will come to commemorate the lives of the 6 Jesuit priests who were murdered on November 16, 1989 by the El Salvador army (who were heavily supported by the US) during the civil war. I'm not really sure what to expect-- but I know that it is a big deal there to celebrate those who risked their lives by openly opposing and speaking out against the corruption of the right-wing government. I think there is a vigil and procession that evening at the university.
On Sunday, we will travel to Arcatao, which is about 3.5 hours away from the capital and borders Honduras. We will have plenty of things planned there, although I am not sure what. We will be staying in the Jesuit center for part of the time and a homestay for the other part. On the 21st the rest of the delegation will return home and I will stay for atleast a couple of weeks. From there I will probably head to Guatemala.
I'm not sure what internet availability is going to be like there. But I'm pretty sure I'll be able to frequent an internet cafe often enough to keep in touch.
Thanks for all of your support and wishes.... I am certainly going to miss all the familiarity and conveniences that comes with living in the states but am sooo excited to go explore something new.
Feel free to email me at emilyhartnielson@gmail.com - please keep me updated about your life!!! I'm going to miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment